Monday, August 12, 2013

Card Store Recap Plus IMPORTANT Allen and Ginter Announcement!

I am going to start off with the Allen and Ginter announcement because it is important: DON'T THOW AWAY YOUR BOXES!!!  Topps has hidden 1/1 glossy parallels of the base set inside of the box lids.  While they are quite rare, it is definitely worth checking with there possibly being a 1/1 inside.

Next on to the card store recap.  I was able to buy cards at 3 different locations on Cape Cod.  The first was at a Newbury Comics at the mall.  I bought 1 pack of 2013 Goodwin Champions and 1 pack of 2013 Gypsy Queen.  I didn't pull anything spectacular but I did get a Jim Bunning SP from Gypsy Queen and a cloth mini of Nikolas Lidstrom from Goodwin which are inserted at a rate of 1 per box.

This stop was really just to tie me over until I went to Pastime Sports Cards and Collectables.  I had been a couple weeks earlier, so I knew he was cleaned out of any Youkilis cards I needed for my PC, but I did do some digging for my new Stars and Stripes PC which features cards of players wearing their Stars and Stripes uniforms with no success.  The pack selection was a little slimmer than I was hoping for so I just bought a few packs of 2013 Topps Heritage.  The Heritage was a bust except for an R.A. Dickey high number SP.

The final stop on my card tour was Hyannis Sports Cards Inc..  This was my first time ever going to this shop, so I saved the bulk of my money for here because it looked pretty big from the outside.  When I walked in they certainly had plenty of sports cards, but the bulk of the store was taken up by t-shirts and apparel.  They had a ton of singles, unfortunately none for my Youk or Stars and Stripes PC.

There were not many baseball packs for sale, just your basic Series 1 and 2, but he did also have some 2013 Bowman.  I never have any luck with base brand, so I decided to go for some 2013 Bowman.  I think I busted about 7 packs if I am remembering correctly.  Anyways, I pulled the usual assortment of good prospects, a blue bordered parallel, and a cream of the crop mini refractor.  However, the big pull was an autograph.  While just a base autograph, it is the best one you can pull in the set.  Baseball America's number 1 prospect, Byron Buxton!


This card is in perfect shape!  The corners are sharp and the centering looks pretty good (hard to tell from scan, but take my word for it).  The autograph is legible until you get to the second half of his last name.  I am so glad I pulled this card and for the record, I have had some luck with prospects in the past.  Maybe I will post my top Bowman pulls sometimes.  I also have a couple of PC mail days coming up!

-20youksox

No comments:

Post a Comment