Monday, March 18, 2013

Topps Exclusive MLB License Extended to 2020

Well, here's the bad news.  Topps exclusive license to manufacture baseball cards has been extended through 2020.  I was looking forward to this expiring, so to say I am dissapointed would be an understatement.  I don't like this deal because quiet frankly this makes Topps a monopoly, so they can make crappy products, like they have been for the past three years, and collectors will still have to buy it because there is no other option.





I have always perfered Upper Deck and Panini over Topps, because I think they make better cards.  With no compitition, collectors have less choice and less control over prices.  Topps quality control has been slipping over the years with incidents like the famous Topps Chrome bowing, and 5 Star chipping.  I haven't bought a hobby box in a year becuase the new products suck, and the old products I love are filled with expired redemptions.  I will have to reset my countdown to the Topps Monopoly expiration for 2020.  That's going to be a long wait.

-20youksox

2 comments:

  1. I feel like someone just shit in my cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. I knew this deal was nothing but trouble for collectors, and the extension is a kick in the nuts.

    ReplyDelete